Is there anybody who has the same lag like phenomenon?

News, Information & Discussion about the [!!!]Hirntot Community
Forum rules
This is an international forum. PLEASE speak ENGLISH! If you have problems with english, please try to post in english and repeat the post in your motherlanguage.
inf3rno

Is there anybody who has the same lag like phenomenon?

Post by inf3rno »

After 10 years I managed to film my weird lag with ET. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UY5QJC ... e=youtu.be This one is from hirntot. I am curious if anybody else experiences the same. It happens with people too, they just show up later on screen and sometimes disappear for a split sec while shooting. Some players warp like hell and are impossible to hit, probably because they press more stamina than others, idk, but they teleport 1-2 meters from left to right and I have no idea where their hitbox is. It is a miracle I can still kill them sometimes. In other cases I run around people, they shoot the wall to the opposite direction and still hit me. :D I like challanges, but not this much. Normally it does not show up this clearly on screen, it just feels like having 300 ping, while I have stable 50 and I see smaller or bigger yellow sharks when I am hit and the FPS drops a little bit for a split second...
inf3rno

Re: Is there anybody who has the same lag like phenomenon?

Post by inf3rno »

Here is the same video slowed down. https://youtu.be/O6kYx9n7vwU It is easier to notice on this that the weapon shows up a few hundred msecs later.
a domestic cat

Post by a domestic cat »

There's something similar in sp_delivery_te near the elevator. In that particular case, there's something wrong with the map and the server determining whether the entities behind the corner should be propagated to your client. You don't always receive everyone's position (or to be more precise, position of every entity, such as player, corpse, gun, medpack...), only when ET determines you can either see or hear the other player. Sometimes, this is buggy, probably related to how brushes are placed and merged.

I've always experienced it on the same places, I have no explanation why that would happen everywhere for you (if you're suggesting that's the case).

EDIT: I read the video description and, quote:
On the console I can see sometimes, that I died and killed somebody with mp40 or thompson after that, which should be impossible.
You mean you killed someone and the event was displayed in the wrong order? Or you didn't kill anyone and the event displayed regardless (this should not be possible, client doesn't behave this way and server doesn't make mistakes)? If the former, than that would suggest a very heavy packet loss, but then your client should be completely lagged without being able to move. Server basically spams you with all the gamestate updates and keeps track of what you know based on latest frame your client acknowledges (sliding window). Then it does a diff of current gamestate and your last acknowledged gamestate and that's what is being sent to you. Whenever your client receives the update, it will apply the changes to your own gamestate and send the frame number back to the server.

I probably could understand that certain events are missing (when the connection gets interrupted for prolonged periods of time, we're talking seconds here - when that happens, gamestate is discarded and server assumes you don't know anything), but I have never seen them in a wrong order, especially without a perceivable lag.

You have probably done this already, but just to make sure - try running the game with the default configuration, especially check those cvars (I think most of them are forced to certain values, but anyway):

Code: Select all

seta rate "40000"
seta snaps "20"
seta cg_predictItems "1"
seta cl_maxpackets "100"
seta cl_packetdup "1"
seta cl_nodelta "0"
seta cl_timeNudge "0"
seta b_antilag "1"
If you are certain that there's nothing wrong with the ET configuration, then probably the ISP (or connection, generally) is to blame. What kind of connection do you have? I'd imagine the game would behave this weird if, let's say, just incoming packets were delayed, or vice-versa. You can't rely on ET ping measurements too much. Any chance you can try another connection, at your friend's house with a different ISP, perhaps?
inf3rno

Post by inf3rno »

I've always experienced it on the same places, I have no explanation why that would happen everywhere for you (if you're suggesting that's the case).
Yes, that's the case. People just appears from thin air. Same with sounds. Sometimes even shooting sounds are not played and many times I don't hear the steps of the enemy, they just arrive without sound. So something wrong with how the game handles what I can see and hear, but I am not sure what causes it. I already tried it out with 2 different computers and operating systems, different configs and it is the same. Maybe with my other computer with FreeBSD it was somewhat better. This is not always repeatable, sometimes the screen works ok and just the hitbox is off, sometimes the game show people later on corners like that thompson. I made another video of the phenomenon, I'll upload it later.
You mean you killed someone and the event was displayed in the wrong order?
Yes. I killed somebody and I died about the same time. I checked the console and I died before I killed that guy according to it. The bullet travelled only 1-2 meters and it was not grenade or something like that. I am not sure how bullets work in this game but it appears to be that my bullets are slower than others because sometimes the hitsounds are delayed too. I am not sure either how this is possible, but it happens. The whole gameplay is weird as if I would not be in sync with the server. I turn around corners and I got instant headshots sometimes, which is weird, because most ppl don't have that good reflexes here and are not skilled enough to expect me every time. Sometimes I hit them with 2 hs and after that I cannot finish the frag, because the hitbox goes totally off and I no longer can hit them. What happens many times that lag pulls back my hitbox when I try to take cover and on my screen I see that I managed to go behind cover 1-2 secs ago, but still I die because my hitbox lags behind me and they shoot it. Sometimes I run around people and they shoot the wall to the opposite direction and still hit me, which means my hitbox and what they see is a lot behind me. It is weird I had these things only with massive lags before 2010 and they showed up on the lagometer, but now I have stable 50 ping, still these weird things happen. I think something is wrong with my ISP, but I don't know what exactly. Maybe this lag lasts for too short period of time that's why the lagometer does not show it, but it happens constantly. What I see frequently on my lagometer are yellow sharks, which means FPS drop, but there is no explanation for that either. When I host a map, I have 600 FPS or more, when I connect to an empty server with the same map, sometimes I don't have 125 FPS on certain areas of the map. So in theory my computer should be able to handle the load, that's why I think this is a network problem, but I don't understand what exactly it is. My brother has the same ISP, he will change to a different one soon, I am curious, maybe that solves it for him.
seta rate "40000"
seta snaps "20"
seta cg_predictItems "1"
seta cl_maxpackets "100"
seta cl_packetdup "1"
seta cl_nodelta "0"
seta cl_timeNudge "0"
seta b_antilag "1"
I already checked all config options I could find. I don't think this is a config problem.
What kind of connection do you have?
It is Hungarian Vodafone, former UPC. It comes in with coaxial cable, 500/25. The alternative is only 30/5 with ADSL, and I don't want to go back to that low bandwidth. What I know that with ISDN and ADSL I never had this problem, but the hardware and the operating system and the local network was totally different those times, so it is hard to figure out which component fails.
inf3rno

Post by inf3rno »

Ok, here is another video about people appearing from thin air: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApxrdZadb8k
Note that I already tried it with ET:Legacy too on other servers and I have the same problem in both games on every server.
evirdrevo

Post by evirdrevo »

Have you tried running a cmd line tool to check for packetloss? You can see your internet signal going through all the internet nodes it passes through and where internetproblems are occuring, where packets are being lost.
inf3rno

Post by inf3rno »

evirdrevo wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:27 pm
Have you tried running a cmd line tool to check for packetloss? You can see your internet signal going through all the internet nodes it passes through and where internetproblems are occuring, where packets are being lost.
I measured packetloss with this: https://packetlosstest.com/ It was always zero. I wish I would have something measureable, but according to all network tests I ran everything works perfectly. The same with hardware tests on both computers.
a domestic cat

Post by a domestic cat »

I'd suggest connecting the computer elsewhere and test it with a different ISP.
S3AL

Post by S3AL »

I noticed that same shit on frostbite on the exact same spot, the invisible people. Bullet lags when u die behind walls or u rekt someone with 3hs but you suddenly drop dead even though it seemed like they hit u zero times, have a feeling all their shots get packed into one packet and sent with a huge delay (maybe from them to the server, maybe from server to me, who knows) in 1 go. Just accepted that as part of the game (my game), a lot of people dont have that shit, at least what i saw on twitch. Hitregs - lets not even talk about that.

Im on 1GBps down 300Mbps up fiber in spain, great isp. Good rig, i9, gtx280, 32gigs. I was on 300mbps vodaphone before. Same shit on both. Im on win10 - i was advised win10 is absolute trash for ET. Mucha recently switched to win10 from win7, he says he struggles. Never tried ET on anything else besides win10, except 15 years ago on whichever OS i had then when i played a bit. Played Apex and other games, smooth as fuck, no problems there. I think it has to do with where you live, how long your shit takes to reach the server and vice versa - I mean it should all be quick 50-60ms, but what happens on the server then in terms of processing that I dunno. Your game will seem broken, but you'll be broken to others too probably. If u aint in that golden circle - bel, nl, germany where all servers are hosted you'll experience this crap, never noticed anyone from those countries experiencing that kind of stuff. Maybe server weak, maybe game old shit - i think game is just shit, lag is handled extremely poorly in et. Still fun though :D