Is there anybody who has the same lag like phenomenon?

News, Information & Discussion about the [!!!]Hirntot Community
Forum rules
This is an international forum. PLEASE speak ENGLISH! If you have problems with english, please try to post in english and repeat the post in your motherlanguage.
S3AL

Re: Is there anybody who has the same lag like phenomenon?

Post by S3AL »

Also try one thing: railgun, when you are driving the train and you aim at targets through the doors (not window of train, but open doors on the side), do you get any hits? I get dogshit, i watched my demos, crosshair right on target, no hits, happens all the time, as if there is an invisible polygon on the door. Never understood why, when i spec other people they hit easy peasy, even bots. I bet its all related, some latency issue, shit thats handeled localy and on the server breaks in communication in between. Dont know how train is handled, positon of train on server side vs position of train at local game. Try it though.
inf3rno

Post by inf3rno »

S3AL wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:39 am
I noticed that same shit on frostbite on the exact same spot, the invisible people. Bullet lags when u die behind walls or u rekt someone with 3hs but you suddenly drop dead even though it seemed like they hit u zero times, have a feeling all their shots get packed into one packet and sent with a huge delay (maybe from them to the server, maybe from server to me, who knows) in 1 go. Just accepted that as part of the game (my game), a lot of people dont have that shit, at least what i saw on twitch. Hitregs - lets not even talk about that.

Im on 1GBps down 300Mbps up fiber in spain, great isp. Good rig, i9, gtx280, 32gigs. I was on 300mbps vodaphone before. Same shit on both. Im on win10 - i was advised win10 is absolute trash for ET. Mucha recently switched to win10 from win7, he says he struggles. Never tried ET on anything else besides win10, except 15 years ago on whichever OS i had then when i played a bit. Played Apex and other games, smooth as fuck, no problems there. I think it has to do with where you live, how long your shit takes to reach the server and vice versa - I mean it should all be quick 50-60ms, but what happens on the server then in terms of processing that I dunno. Your game will seem broken, but you'll be broken to others too probably. If u aint in that golden circle - bel, nl, germany where all servers are hosted you'll experience this crap, never noticed anyone from those countries experiencing that kind of stuff. Maybe server weak, maybe game old shit - i think game is just shit, lag is handled extremely poorly in et. Still fun though :D
The packet size would be a perfect explanation. Great idea, thanks! It is definitely not part of the game, I mean around 2007-2008 I haven't had such issues with my previous ISP and a lot worse computer and XP. I have this since I have a new ISP and Win7 on the computer, but I tried it and I had the same on FreeBSD too, so it is more likely that this is a network problem. I am not sure if the ET client or server sends bigger packets or if there is some kind of bufferbloat somewhere in the system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bufferbloat In the case of bufferbloat I guess we would see it on the ping, right?
inf3rno

Post by inf3rno »

S3AL wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:39 am
Also try one thing: railgun, when you are driving the train and you aim at targets through the doors (not window of train, but open doors on the side), do you get any hits? I get dogshit, i watched my demos, crosshair right on target, no hits, happens all the time, as if there is an invisible polygon on the door. Never understood why, when i spec other people they hit easy peasy, even bots. I bet its all related, some latency issue, shit thats handeled localy and on the server breaks in communication in between. Dont know how train is handled, positon of train on server side vs position of train at local game. Try it though.
The train is weird. In my case the bar crashed me, when I was inside the train and somebody opened it. It lagged through the whole train and killed me. :D I guess I don't have this kind of shit with other games like Battlefield, because they use lot bigger packets. For me this packet size theory explains it completely. I am curious if I can change it in the operating system somewhere, or it is really about how ISPs communicate with each other. Even if I cannot change it, it is still relevant, because I can ask Legacy developers to increase the packet size somehow with random junk data, and maybe that would fix it on Legacy.

Somebody told me that I should turn on

Code: Select all

/cg_predictitems 1
/cg_optimizeprediction 1 
I'll try those too, maybe they fix disappearing people.
a domestic cat

Post by a domestic cat »

S3AL wrote:
railgun, when you are driving the train
This is a pain even with a low ping. It feels completely broken to me, sometimes I can hit just fine, sometimes I have to offset the aim, sometimes you just don't hit anything, even on a short distance.
inf3rno

Post by inf3rno »

I tried

/cg_predictitems 1
/cg_optimizeprediction 1 
the did not fix it, just as expected. It is some sort of network error.

I don't know if the server is involved. I played on many servers and some of them have it too, so it is not unique to hirntot. I played with different mods and Legacy too, all of them had it.

Even nades and rifle nades are off imho. They blow up earlier than they should and I barely damage people with them.
inf3rno

Post by inf3rno »

a domestic cat wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:01 pm
S3AL wrote:
railgun, when you are driving the train
This is a pain even with a low ping. It feels completely broken to me, sometimes I can hit just fine, sometimes I have to offset the aim, sometimes you just don't hit anything, even on a short distance.
Yes, same here. Sometimes it is ok, but only a few maps per week and even then it is not entirely, just maybe 80%.
inf3rno

Post by inf3rno »

I did a little test, I pinged the server while playing. It wrote twice on the image that "a kérésre nem érkezett válasz a határidőn belül", which means timeout in Hungarian.
hirntot.jpg
hirntot.jpg (262.89 KiB) Viewed 17233 times
I tried a Hungarian server too, but I experienced the same lag, though a friend does it with residental internet with a better ISP, so it is not business quality.
rohambili.jpg
rohambili.jpg (252.4 KiB) Viewed 17233 times
I have the yellow spikes and a little FPS drop frequently on hirntot too, but not the red spikes. I guess the red spike means timeout too, but it recovers faster on hirntot, that's why I don't see them on the lagometer there, just the yellow spikes.

So I guess this is not an international communication problem, but something else. Maybe a local problem with my ISP, or it is a problem with the game itself on new operating systems or new hardware. My brother says that he has the same with his new ISP too and they use FTTH. There is no better ISP in the country, the last option would be buying business quality internet.
Klemik

Post by Klemik »

I have experienced some lag issues lately aswell (Poland), seen some players even 999+ for some seconds, but it ususally ended soon.
As for upgrading your hadrware, ET is pretty old game so I don't think your hardware is making issues.
For your lag issues try tracert command.
I think it might be just server problem, as there is xmas comming soon.

Another issue, if you use Win10, there might be probablitity that your system is getting upgrades (download = more hdd usage + connection usage), I have experienced that a lot while playing some games; even thought I have some viruses. Check your system manager (processes & performance).
a domestic cat

Post by a domestic cat »

Klemik wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:31 pm
Please, do not reply without reading the post, responses and their timestamps.
crUx

Post by crUx »

inf3rno wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:49 pm
I tried

/cg_predictitems 1
/cg_optimizeprediction 1 
the did not fix it, just as expected. It is some sort of network error.

I don't know if the server is involved. I played on many servers and some of them have it too, so it is not unique to hirntot. I played with different mods and Legacy too, all of them had it.

Even nades and rifle nades are off imho. They blow up earlier than they should and I barely damage people with them.
Should be /b_optimizePrediction 1