Restore auto-ban for serial-(spawn)killers

Don't like the rules? Feel you've been kicked innocently? Got connection Problems? Whine here!
Forum rules
This is an international forum. PLEASE speak ENGLISH! If you have problems with english, please try to post in english and repeat the post in your motherlanguage.
Monty on the Run

Restore auto-ban for serial-(spawn)killers

Post by Monty on the Run »

A few years ago Hirntot had a server script that counted the number of times you've been set auto-spectator for spawnkill. I was one of those players who up until that point had always played on the edge and placed my arty/mortar/rockets as close to the enemy spawn as possible. So when I made an accidental spawnkill, the server script counted each time I did that, and eventually I would get an auto-ban for having accumulated enough number of spawnkills (to the point where it was deemed excessive). Well that certainly made me sit up in my chair, because I did not want to be banned for any period of time (especially when it was easily avoidable). So I moved my heavy weapons a bit further out from the enemy spawn to avoid these penalties accumulating. The server script served its purpose, and I was cured from playing on the edge.

Fast forward to 2024, and I'm wondering if this needs to be reintroduced. I say this, because of two reasons:

1) Most players when being put auto-spec for spawnkill simply just laugh about it - or they curse out the server. You hardly ever see anyone saying "sorry" for what they just did.

2) Players are able to rejoin the queue too quick after being put auto-spec (I think the timeout is only something like 60 seconds). At the same time, the server is now busier than ever, and we often have long waiting times in the queue. It isn't fair that a player who break the rules should be allowed to re-enter this quickly - especially if it's ahead of other players who will connect and join the queue while the spawnkiller is already ahead of them in the queue.

As an example.... tonight a relative new player called 'Tekken.' was put auto-spec for spawnkill 2 times in the span of 3 rounds. I've seen him spawnkill several times over the last couple of months, and never once have I seen him show remorse. I decided to have a word with him about it, and I thought his response encapsulated the culture he brings to the server:

edit: and also tonight, player 'leszeksensimiller' fired his panzer right into the axi spawn at Old City on Oasis. It wasn't even a close call - he saw a bunch of axis standing in the courtyard (spawn protected zone), and decided "what the hell, I'll just fire my panzer and get a bunch of kills". This player 'leszeksensimiller' has been around for a long time and obviously knows the rules. It's the lack of punishment that makes him deliberately break the rules.