Stuck on 'Awaiting gamestate...' during connection to et.hirntot.org

Issues regarding [!!!]Hirntot, 6 Map Standard Gameserver
[!!!]Hirntot Server Player Stats
Forum rules
This is an international forum. PLEASE speak ENGLISH! If you have problems with english, please try to post in english and repeat the post in your motherlanguage.
TrolleY

Stuck on 'Awaiting gamestate...' during connection to et.hirntot.org

Post by TrolleY »

Hello,

I wanted to come back to ET after a while, but unfortunately I'm stuck with some strange problem with connecting to hirntot server - exactly et.hirntot.org. My client is stuck on awaiting gamestate. While I'm stuck I can see, that I'm connected on et.splatterladder (as spectator with ping 999), but awaiting gamestate eventually ends with "server timed out" or "server disconnected for unknown reason". The strange thing is, that I have no problem with connection to Hirnlos (et2.hirntot.org) and Hirnschlag (et3.hirntot.org). I've used ET setup from splashdamage site, which already contains etkey generation and fixed punkbuster. I'm using Windows 10 Pro, I've tried few compatibility options (XP SP3, Win7, Admin rights), reinstalling punkbuster by Harlekin and disabling AVG antivirus as well but none of them works. ET console log does not tell anything what would alarm me somehow.

Any idea what may be wrong and how could I join again to best server of best online multiplayer game ever? ;)

Best regards,
TrolleY
Buro

Re: Stuck on 'Awaiting gamestate...' during connection to et.hirntot.org

Post by Buro »

https://fearless-assassins.com/topic/60 ... gamestate/

pb version?
using x-fire?
firewall?

A solution that may fix the problem;

Go to the directory; C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc (depending on which drive you installed Windows) In the directory ‘etc’ you will find a file called; ‘hosts’. Open the file and choose wordpad or another text editor to open the file with. Now add a new line and type; 192.246.40.62 etguidauth.evenbalance.com Save the file after this.

Now go to the directory; C:/Program Files/Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory/pb (depending on where you installed Enemy Territory) In that folder delete the file; ‘pbns.dat’, and run the program; ‘pbweb.exe’. Wait while PB updates itself (this may take a while) and you are done.
TrolleY

Post by TrolleY »

Thank's Buro for taking a look into this.

PB version: v0.986 (at least this number shows PunkBuster Services Test)
Xfire: no (anyway, it just runs et.exe with additional parameter +connect, doesn't it? It think it shoudn't matter)
Firewall: et.exe allowed access both for private and public network. I noticed that PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB were disallowed in private network (public only). I'll check shortly if allowing them will help, I'm waiting for any free slot on server :)

Yes, I have found that post as well but apparently unfortunately this solution no longer works (I was able to check it first). I believe that there are few reasons:
  • As far as I remember I always had those lines with not resolved etguidauth.evenbalance.com in my log since Even Balance dropped support with PunkBuster for ET
  • IP 192.246.40.62 is no longer available. I have checked it both using ping command, telnet with port 27960 (I found somewhere that it may be used for authentication), and pasting it into hosts file as well. Those lines are still there. Could you please check in your log if they appers there?
  • I have no pbns.dat nor pbweb.exe. I believe those files have been dropped in PB by Harlekin. Could you please check if you have them?
EDIT: I have checked 192.246.40.62:27960 with nping either both via TCP and UDP, since telnet may not tell me much. It does not respond, when et.hirntot.org:27960 responds to UPD packets.
TrolleY

Post by TrolleY »

Unfortunately: no longer works :<
EDIT: tried to reinstall using game client from hirntot.org/downloads section and cleaning up profiles (creating basic default profile on first run). Still the same issue.
Attachments
screen4.jpg
screen4.jpg (160.89 KiB) Viewed 19154 times
Buro

Post by Buro »

That ping is not reachable for me too...
No such files here too

Hmmm... when you ping server is it something lost?

Maybe try to reinstall your connection drivers?
popiette

Post by popiette »

If you are a Win 10 user, I hope this will work for you too. If not, no need to read the rest.
I've had this same bug for weeks, and the only thing that helped was to launch ET in administrator mode.
More precisely I'm using an old game scanner (Qtracker) and launching Qtracker as administrator, then running ET through Qtracker worked; or simply try to run ET.exe as an admin and see what happens (for me both work fine).
TrolleY

Post by TrolleY »

Buro, actually I don't believe it is any problem with the drivers. Popiette - yes, I am Win 10 user but I have tried already Administrator mode with and without mixing it with different compatibility modes.

I've reinstalled the game cleanly with old-school installer + manual patch to 2.60b + manual etkey installation. I've used default generated profile. No success, same results.

I've run network scan using Wireshark and I can see information exchange between Server and Client. I can even see some connectionless packets which seems to be PunkBuster service packed exchanged between client and server.
It appears, that after 3 minutes connection from server to client stops. After 5 minutes server sends to client single connectionless packed with 'disconnect' command in content. A 'Server disconnected for unknown reason' screen appears.
TrolleY

Post by TrolleY »

To complete before post - I'm stuck on awaiting gamestate before game starts its download subsystem. No files are downloaded from server, but some exchange of packets between client and server can be noticed.

Ok, it seems that I'm a bit closer to narrow down what is a problem.
I've run my ET on my old buddy linux mint, and... didn't work as well. So I found out that the problem must be the machine configuration (say what?) or local network. I've disconnected my local network and connected to network shared from my mobile phone. Works like a charm both on Windows and Linux.

Any idea what might be wrong with network configuration? Maybe some port blocked on router which is used by Hirntot but not by Hirnlos nor Hirnschlag?
Buro

Post by Buro »

Maybe try to turn off downloads in game?
c0rnn
[!!!]

Post by c0rnn »

ipconfig /flushdns ?