The Queue or why it is the most fair solution.

Issues regarding [!!!]Hirntot, 6 Map Standard Gameserver
[!!!]Hirntot Server Player Stats
Forum rules
This is an international forum. PLEASE speak ENGLISH! If you have problems with english, please try to post in english and repeat the post in your motherlanguage.
evirdrevo

The Queue or why it is the most fair solution.

Post by evirdrevo »

Hello ladies, gentlemen & olyfag,

I do not know what the intentions of the mods was to add the queue but let me explain why it is the most fair way to have people join the game.

In a normal situation you connect and once a second your client sends a packet to the server asking if there is a free slot to join. It does not matter if you are waiting for five minutes or ten minutes, everyone trying to connect to the server has one 1 chance a second if there is a free slot.

Now this brings us to an omerta that has existed since RTCW times. When you are waiting to connect to a server some people used the command /timescale 10 or even /timescale 100. This command is locked once you join a server but before that you can set it to any value you want. When using timescale 100 you tried to connect to the server 100 times a second compared to 1 time a second by default. This ment that anyone using the command was guaranteed a spot even if he just started waiting. I personally never had to wait longer then 5 minutes to get on the server before the queue, now I have to get in line with the other plebs.

Hope this explains it for you guys, you can still use timescale to get onto other servers which are full but the hirntot queue is actually beneficial to most players but the guys (ab)using timescale.

This was Gloria Borger for PewNews - the best news on the internets. Gloria out.
Monty on the Run

Re: The Queue or why it is the most fair solution.

Post by Monty on the Run »

Perhaps in the evolution of this script we’ll see an option for the spectators in queue to be moved over to Hirnlos.

An announcer could say how many are currently on Hirnlos and what you have to type in console if you want to head over there.

Or, you could have an option for the spectators in queue to type a command that will indicate that they are interested in going to Hirnlos. These players would then ideally be moved automatically once say 6 players have committed to going there.

If you can also bring back the option to have current XP on Hirntot carried over to Hirnlos then that might make the proposition of switching between servers more attractive.

What this queue script have unraveled is that on any given night there are 30-40 players interested in playing on Hirntot. It’s usually a 13 vs 13 game during the peak hours. Unfortunately, most of the maps on offer at Hirntot were not designed for this high volume. It makes the battlefield feel cramped and spammed. To that end, it would be in the best interest of everyone to resurrect Hirnlos and reduce the teams on Hirntot by 1-2 players.

It’s like Hirntot is now built like a Noah’s Ark where everyone is scrambling to get onboard. We must do better than this and be able to carry two servers.
c0rnn
[!!!]

Post by c0rnn »

Monty on the Run wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:48 am
An announcer could say how many are currently on Hirnlos and what you have to type in console if you want to head over there.
This was implemented yesterday.

Hirnlos maplist is similar to Hirntot:
"sw_goldrush_te;supply;radar;adlernest;fueldump;sw_oasis_b3;tc_base;bremen_b3"
nineinchnails
[!!!]

Post by nineinchnails »

I think everyone understands the timescale issue, nevertheless I've been happier with the solution before.

I was able to wait in the connecting screen until I got a free slot, now I have to wait for minutes (sometimes 2-3 maps) as spectator until I can play. To be honest, I play less now because it's too boring to wait as spectator...

I explained it already somewhere, but before:
Waited in the connecting screen, minimized ET until I hear the ingame sound and then joined/played...
Now I don't notice when I get the free slot out of the queue without watching it...
Harlekin

Post by Harlekin »

nineinchnails wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:00 pm
I think everyone understands the timescale issue, nevertheless I've been happier with the solution before.

I was able to wait in the connecting screen until I got a free slot, now I have to wait for minutes (sometimes 2-3 maps) as spectator until I can play. To be honest, I play less now because it's too boring to wait as spectator...

I explained it already somewhere, but before:
Waited in the connecting screen, minimized ET until I hear the ingame sound and then joined/played...
Now I don't notice when I get the free slot out of the queue without watching it...
We got a solution for this, at least for all that are @ www.hirntot.org/discord
HirntotQueueSergeant wrote:Hello there! I'm a bot. While waiting in join queue on server, feel free to minimize your ET and keep looking around the internet or take a dump. I'll send you a message once you make it to a team! Just set your Discord nickname the same like your in-game alias (but without color codes). Letter case doesn't matter, but don't forget about all your dots, pipelines or other funny characters in your name.
Harlekin

Post by Harlekin »

Thank you for explaining the idea behind the script @ evidrevo