About custom maps

Issues regarding [!!!]Hirntot, 6 Map Standard Gameserver
[!!!]Hirntot Server Player Stats
Forum rules
This is an international forum. PLEASE speak ENGLISH! If you have problems with english, please try to post in english and repeat the post in your motherlanguage.
hmm

About custom maps

Post by hmm »

I believe I speak for most when I say I don't think having these unknown custom maps on the server is a very good idea at all. Practically none of the few dozen who still play the game come on the server to play some kind of convoluted, gigantic labyrinth no one has ever seen before. After over 18 years people come back for the familiarity more than anything else, which means the standard map rotation and maybe a couple of well established and even half proportionate custom maps which have been in use for years. No one is looking for anything new at this point anymore.

What tends to happen, at least in the afternoon when I play, is that whenever one of these weird new custom maps loads up, half of the players leave while the rest try to pass the surrender vote. I don't blame them. There's nothing wrong with the vanilla maps, albeit some age old balance issues or team biases, but at least the action flows much better when the maps are compact and well known.
Monty on the Run

Re: About custom maps

Post by Monty on the Run »

It's one thing to have a preference for the maps to be "compact and well known"... it's another thing to spew propaganda and misinformation in order to get people to adapt to your preference. We're not buying it :roll:

That's 2/2 posts now where you've come here and made deliberate misinformation. There is no "Propaganda Minister" position up for grabs at Hirntot - that slot is already filled.
hmm

Post by hmm »

Hirntot is essentially the last place where old players still can get a game going in Europe. I don't think a still surviving community this marginal can really afford to run an empty server half the day. I don't know how it is much later, but it's already difficult to get 20 people in there during previously busy hours. These certain custom maps don't seem to be doing any favors to the player count. Maybe there's another metacommunity playing the game at night.

Are you suggesting everyone loves maps like that Bridges thing? You could try a poll perhaps. If my observations have been incorrect, I'll be the first to admit it.
c0rnn
[!!!]

Post by c0rnn »

webcat/likedislike/

It's actually quite liked, to my surprise.
sNossi
[!!!]

Post by sNossi »

hmm wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:49 pm
I believe I speak for most when I say I don't think having these unknown custom maps on the server is a very good idea at all. Practically none of the few dozen who still play the game come on the server to play some kind of convoluted, gigantic labyrinth no one has ever seen before. After over 18 years people come back for the familiarity more than anything else, which means the standard map rotation and maybe a couple of well established and even half proportionate custom maps which have been in use for years. No one is looking for anything new at this point anymore.

What tends to happen, at least in the afternoon when I play, is that whenever one of these weird new custom maps loads up, half of the players leave while the rest try to pass the surrender vote. I don't blame them. There's nothing wrong with the vanilla maps, albeit some age old balance issues or team biases, but at least the action flows much better when the maps are compact and well known.

I do not agree with your feedback :!: People are playing and don't leave the server and I play ET a lot in the afternoon.

Greetings
Man really only has what is in him.
Klemik

Post by Klemik »

I still play it even tho I have no clue what the objective is or where to go. I just follow others, that's it. Best way to learn a new map is to play it.
Monty on the Run

Post by Monty on the Run »

Klemik wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:16 pm
I still play it even tho I have no clue what the objective is or where to go. I just follow others, that's it. Best way to learn a new map is to play it.
What you are describing is the lemming way. Follow the person in front of you and hope for the best :roll:

In all my years of playing ET it never cease to amaze me how few actually press L and read what the objectives are during warmup. "I'm lost!" they shout as the round begins. Well, who's fault is that? The mapmaker - or your lazy ass?
hmm

Post by hmm »

Learning the map or its objectives isn't necessarily the issue. The scale of the map however, is. The action in very large maps tends to be unconcentrated and spread too wide apart for ~20 something players. That's why we're seeing Oasis, Goldrush and Radar as the most popular picks still today - they keep the teams closer together which allows the rounds to flow without too much idle time.
Klemik

Post by Klemik »

Monty on the Run wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:12 am
Klemik wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:16 pm
What you are describing is the lemming way. Follow the person in front of you and hope for the best :roll:
And... what is wrong with that? Follow other to stop ally/axis from defeating you or go back to see your final defnese zone?
"I'm lost!" they shout as the round begins. Well, who's fault is that? The mapmaker - or your lazy ass?
It's not tourament, let ppl go and learn the map obj unless you just want to keep them spawnkill at door exit and quit ET community and be the best fragger.
sNossi
[!!!]

Post by sNossi »

It's not tourament, let ppl go and learn the map obj unless you just want to keep them spawnkill at door exit and quit ET community and be the best fragger.
[/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcPt3SNtFkQ

starts at 2:05
Man really only has what is in him.